Photobucket

Monday, September 24, 2007

Skinny baby

Last week I took Mia to the pediatrician for her 4 month check up (I know! 4 months already!) J and I told her about our concern and our family's concern of her size. She still fits into 0-3 month clothing (although I packed them all away since I was getting bored of them and wanted to put her into some new fall clothes I got her). Her height is in the 75th percentile which is typical for her, but her weight was only 12 lbs, 6 oz, putting her in the 25th percentile. Since she has been spitting up a lot, the doctor perscribed some heartburn meds. She also indicated that this is probably a breast feeding issue.

Her remedy for me:

Take herbal medication (found out from the herbalist I need to take 4 pills an hour; not doing that as it made me so nauseous!)

Wake up between 12-1 to pump

YIKES!! I managed this for 4 nights. On the day of that 4th night, I was so tired, I was crying for no reason. I felt drunk and useless. I am just trying to stay up later to pump. I am only getting about 2 oz. at a time... I don't want to quit, although everyone is pressuring me to.


I am worried about my baby. I want to be the skinny one; she needs to be the chubby one. The doctor isn't worried, but I am . She is very happy and reaching all her milestones ahead of schedule. My dad told my sister to tell me to "feed the baby". oh wow... never thought of that!! Another point off for me for being a bad mommy, I guess! Here is a new picture of my cutie!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joei- food for thought- my friend's babies were both in the lowest percentiles for weight and they were formula fed the entire time. Don't get discouraged! I pumped about every three hours with Hayley and once I had the pump dialed up to full speed I was able to pump an average of 5 ounces every 3 hours and got six or seven hours of solid sleep at night. If you do not want to quit, DON'T. You can do this! They say it is supply and demand, so if you are pumping during the day at work then work in one extra pumping during the day- then you shouldn't need to wake in the middle of the night for the extra one. Best wishes! Jenn

Esperanza said...

Joei, I don't have any answers. You know never been there. But, how about supplementing? That way you get the best of both worlds. You still get to feed, and "if" Mia needs extra food then she would be getting it.

Remember, I'm an outsider looking in. You got the prize, and you know her best. So, if she looks fine and the docs aren't saying anything bad about it - go with your gut.

Love you.

Unknown said...

I have no assvice, but possibly some comfort?

My sister's little one is approaching a year old (October) and he is in the 2nd percentile for weight...Yes, the 2nd. And he is happy and healthy as can be. Granted, if he falls lower, they would like blood work, but some babies are just small!

Anyway, your little Mia is so very beautiful and your're a wonderful mom. Like Dianne said, go with your gut! If she's happy and healthy, I see no problem.

Hugs my friend!

Linlee said...

Hang in there. I was a skinny baby too and I turned out fine. As long as the baby isn't crying for food then you are doing everything right!!!
HUGS!

Mrs M said...

Joei - Rowan was on the 91st ercentile for height & the 9th for weight from birth. She has stayed on these two lines, never deviated and she is just so healthy - not fat, chubby or bloated up like many formula fed babies are. Do you still feed Mia or are you just pumping? Try pumping after she has finished feeding, you may only get 1/2 oz or so to start with but within a few days you will have enough milk to feed the whole street!!
Yvonne x

Anonymous said...

Joei- just found this post today on SQ & SPJ and thought you may really find it useful. Hop on over and check out her post on the lack of prolactin when it comes to producing breastmilk.
www.stirrup-queens.blogspot.com