Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Case of PUPP and an Irritable Uterus

I have this crazy rash that started at my belly, moved up to my breasts (very classy to be itching your boobs!), down my arms (although, this could be my sun allergy), and then to my legs. My OB was concerned, until she did a blood test on my liver and all was fine. I was not fine... After two weeks of itching like crazy, I finally went to the dermatologist. He was the strangest man ever! He rambles on about giving me oral steroids (which I would have refused) and then perscribes some topical steroid which he tells me I can check with my "OBwonkonobe" if I want to. He then asks me if I'll make it until the end of the school year. Since there are 8 weeks left of school, and 5 of my pregnancy, I tell him no. He tells me that pregnancies usually go 2 weeks after your due date. I shrugged him off. This guy was WEIRD!!

Yesterday, I went to my OB and I am telling her about my case of PUPP and the weird dermatologist. She is laughing with me about his strangeness, and tells me the meds he perscribed are fine. She asks if I have any questions and I bring up this weird belly pain I have been having since the day before. She wants to measure my belly and then hook me up to a machine to see if I'm having contractions. I measure at 38 weeks for her, which is strange because two weeks ago I measured right where I should be for the other doctor. She mentions something about doing another ultrasound to see how big this baby is. First, she hooks me up to the contraction machine, which is next to this big recliner, so I'm loving just sitting there, reading my People with my feet up. She comes back in to tell me I'm contracting. I really don't think much of it; its probably Braxton Hicks, right? Then she examines me... I'm dilated to 1! At this point I start to cry. I have been telling everyone I'm "done" being pregnant, but I guess I'm really not. She calms me down, and sends me to the hospital. Of course, Jeff did not go with me to this appt., so I have to call him and try to sound like I'm in control and cool about everything. I tell him to take his time, when I really want him there NOW!
I also called my mom who answers the phone "Are you having your baby?" I just laughed and said "Well, actually..." and explained everything. She says she's going to stay home, which I'm secretly relieved about. I need no more stress!

At the hospital, I'm hooked up again and given an IV. My nurse turns out to be the parent of a child I had last year. Thank goodness my doctor checked me! I DO NOT need a former parent to see my privacy!! I lay in my beautiful gown and watch TV, feeling hungry, but not allowed to eat. My uterus is apparently irritable, even after the IV. I'm given a shot of something that makes me shaky and thankfully, a turkey sandwich. I was finally sent home with instructions to stay off my feet today. The doctor is supposed to call me today to check on me, so we'll see what my next instructions are. The nurse said I could make it to May, but they want to at least get me to make it to 36 weeks so my babe doesn't have to spend time in the NICU.

Wow... in another week, I could be a MOM!!


Dianne/Flutter said...

Holy - Holy - Holy - COW! WOO HOO Joei.

Ok, so I am saying a prayer that she sticks to staying inside of you for a few more weeks. I mean, three weeks isn't so bad? And that she doesn't need to stay in the NICU.

But, she is really coming. She really, really is coming. And I am so happy for you!

Carla said...

I'm with Dianne--HOLY COW!!! How exciting, but scary! Prop your feet up, relax, and let Jeff take care of you. Keep us posted!
Love, Carla